TI EK-TM4C1294XL LaunchPad¶
This guide will walk through how to connect the Texas Instruments EK-TM4C1294XL Micro-controller and port the Out-Of-Box experience to Murano. The EK-TM4C can be purchased via the Texas Instruments website. While this process does require extra development work to update the code, this easy-to-follow guide does not require the user to have any coding/development experience.
- Texas Instruments EK-TM4C1294XL - https://www.ti.com/store/ti/en/p/product/?p=EK-TM4C1294XL
- TivaWare for TM-EK4C1294XL - http://software-dl.ti.com/tiva-c/SW-TM4C/latest/index_FDS.html
- Code Composer Studio - http://software-dl.ti.com/ccs/esd/documents/ccs_downloads.html
- NOTE: If your Windows machine is a 32bit System, use v8.3.1 or earlier
Versions / Date Tested:¶
- Last tested on: 2020-04-17
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10
- CCStudio: 9.3.0
- TivaWare: SW-TM4C-126.96.36.199
Sign Up For Exosite Business Account¶
- Navigate to https://info.exosite.com/platform-sign-up and fill out the sign-up form.
- When you receive your account registration email, follow the link provided and enter the verification key into the field. You will then be prompted to complete the Account Registration form.
3. After completing the registration form, navigate to the `My Businesses` tab and click on `+ NEW BUSINESS`.
NOTE: Your credit card will NOT be charged upon completion of the registration form! You will only be charged when you choose to deploy the ExoSense™ Application through the IoT Exchange
4.Give your Business a name and click `CREATE`. Once complete, click on your new Business.
5. You will be redirected the Exosite Exchange. \(If not, click on `IoT Marketplace` at the top of the screen\) Scroll down to the `IoT Connector Templates` section, and choose the `Texas Instruments EK-TM4C1294XL` Exchange Card.
6. Click on the orange `CREATE IOT CONNECTOR` button, and give your new Connector a name.
7. Once the Connector has been deployed, navigate to the `HOME` link at the top of the page. 8. You will see your IoT Connector is now available, so go ahead and click on it.
9. Copy the `Product ID` to your clipboard by clicking on the small `ID` icon located at the top left of the screen. You will need this ID for a future step.
Install Code Composer Studio¶
- Use the Link under the
Requirementssection to download CCS. (Scroll down the CCS download page to find
Code Composer Studio Version 9 Downloads)
- Un-zip the file and double-click on
ccs_setup_9.3.000012.exeto install CCS onto your system. (CCS version may vary)
Install and Configure TivaWare for the TM-EK4C1294XL¶
- Download the TivaWare installer listed under
2. In order to download the Installer, you will need to register for an account with TI if you have not yet done so. Once you are logged in, you will be required to fill out a short TI Request U.S. Government Export approval form. Once submitted, you should be emailed a link to the TivaWare Download within 2 minutes. 3. Click on `SW-TM4C-188.8.131.52.exe` to install. For the purposes of this guide, we will be installing to `C:/ti`. Keep this in mind for future steps if you choose to install in another location.
Exosite Library Update¶
- Download the updated exosite.c and exosite.h files.
In your system's file explorer, navigate to the
C:/ti/TivaWare_C_Series-184.108.40.206/third_party/exositefolder. Replace the
exosite.hfiles with the updated versions.
Update Firmware for TM4C1294XL¶
- Open Code Composer Studio. Choose the directory where you would like to build your Workspace and click
- Click on
File >> Import. On the Import selection screen, choose
Code Composer Studio >> CCS Projectsand hit
3. Click on `Browse..` located next to `Select search-directory`. Navigate to `C:/ti/TivaWare_C_Series-220.127.116.11/examples/boards/ek-tm4c1294xl/qs_iot/ccs` and click on `Select Folder`.
Make sure to check the box next to the following:
- qs_iot (Under "Discovered Projects")
- Automatically import referenced projects found in same serach-directory
- Copy projects into workspace
4. Once the project is loaded, click on `qs_iot` to expand the file directory
5. In `third_party >> exosite` Click on `exosite.c` to open the script editor. . Scroll down to line 79, and you will see the `HOST` definition. Note that the URL is prepended with `<PID>`. You will need to replace `<PID>` with the Product ID you copied in Step 13 of `Sign up for Exosite Business Account`.
6. Click on `exosite_hal_lwip.h` in the script editor and find line 56. Replace `m2.exosite.com` with `<PID>.devmode-m2.exosite.io`, making sure to use your Product ID instead of `<PID>`. Lastly, change the host to Port 80 if necessary.
- If you are unable to locate
Includes >> C:/ti/TivaWare_C_Series-18.104.22.168/examples/boards/ek-tm4c1294xl >> driversin the Project Explorer. You will find the
exosite_hal_lwip.hfile listed here.
7. Open `qs_iot.c` and find line 1024. Replace this line with `Exosite_Init(IF_ENET, 0);` as shown in the image below.
Flash Updated Firmware to the Board¶
- Plug the provided ethernet cable into your EK-TM4C1294XL's ethernet port.
- Connect the your local machine to the debug port on the EK-TM4C1294XL using the provided USB cable.
- Click on the small
flashicon in Code Composer Studio to download the new code to your board. Once this is complete, the EK-TM4C1294XL will immediately begin running the new code and connect with your Exosite Account.
Control the Board Via Your Exosite Account¶
- Navigate back to your Exosite Business Account and click on your IoT Connector. You will see the device listed under the
Device List. The ID will be the MAC address of your particular board.
- Click on the device to see the values being updated from your EK-TM4C1294XL
- Change the value of
1in order to toggle the LEDs located on the board on/off.
This concludes the port of the EK-TM4C1294XL Out-Of-Box experience to Murano. Now that your device is communicating with the Exosite Platform, we encourage you to check out ExoSense™ - Exosite's Remote Condition Monitoring Application! ExoSense™ gives you the ability to take your EK-TM4C1294 monitoring to the next level with easy-to-build Dashboards, alert condition configuration, user management and much more!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact
firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance, or visit
community.exosite.com for additional help.